Friday, November 23, 2007

gingerbread snowmen revealed

I always get surprises in my baking endeavors, because following the recipe precisely is real hard for me to do. I don't know why. It's an issue I'm working on. In this case, the candy I bought in a rush to decorate them simply wasn't ideal. I wanted a small bag of red hots and a small bag of mini-M&M's, you know, tiny candies for eyes and buttons, but could only find them in huge bags. So, instead I grabbed mini-Hershey's kisses and Twizler's pull-apart strings. Then, since I didn't want the gingerbread men to be that break-your-teeth consistency, I didn't bake them as long. The softness made them delightful to eat but not to stick together in 3-segmented snowmen. Invariably, one snowball kept falling off. This meant a 2-segmented cookie with one mini-Hershey's kiss on each segment. You get the point. They would've been appropriate cookies for a bachelor's party, not a big Thanksgiving meal with my inlaws. And, no matter how I arranged the red licorice strings, they looked like various innards. I ended up focusing more on circle cookie art rather than making my men decipherable.

Oh well! Here's a sampling photo of the least gory or perverted gingerbread snowmen (a.k.a. glow worms) and circles. How do you like the Olympic circles at the bottom right? Thank you. Thank you very much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look wonderful! I wish I were there to help eat them!

lori said...

Thanks, Mom.