Sunday, November 11, 2007

places

This is not the first time we've been homeless, but it is the first time we've been wandering with no solid decision on where to land. It's the most I've ever thought about place - how we define ourselves by place and are shaped by it. I cherish new places, being wooed by the tantalizing ones and coaxing beauty from the mundane ones, and wondering all along what makes a particular place home to people. I wouldn't make a good longterm homeless person. It has been just less than a year of traveling, and I am yearning for home.

We watched Into The Wild tonight at the theatre. There were scenes from many places we've been, places that have defined us, like the Northern California desert, the bottom of the Grand Canyon, campsights with other road rats, and most movingly, the mountains of Alaska. When I saw footage of the land, of caribou, snow, fireweed, and moose, my heart swelled with love and loss, fullness and emptiness. I miss her! Jason leaned over and said, "Let's go back. Right now."

We have so many ideas of what to do next in life, but unless they involve Alaska, they don't feel very permanent to me. Alaska's vastness is hard to be away from, especially now, when we drive for hours and are never out of identical suburbs. Alaska represents for me independence from the conveniences of society that insulate people from anything raw and real and enduring. And yet, people must be okay living out east here, because 2/3 of the US population is within a 500 radius of DC. I saw that in a pamphlet so it must be true.

Here are a couple of places that make life okay for now: the first two are at Catoctin National Park yesterday, and the last is today in Bethesda.


2 comments:

My Middle Name is "Gerous" said...

I'm with you both a hundred percent when it comes to Alaska. Of course now that I'm not there, certain things I don't enjoy about the place conveniently tuck themselves away into the back of my brain. But overall, there are few days that I don't think I'd rather be in my home state. I don't think Portland will ever feel like home, at least not in the same way Alaska does. *sigh*

Autumn said...

ohhhhh...... but when those vast Alaskan landscapes are frozen over and covered in darkness, it makes them a little harder to enjoy. I wish you guys were here, then this state would be a little more bearable..... for me anyway. The winters are good for staying inside and having hot drinks with great company, of which you two are some of my favorite. I admit, i am a little manic depressive when it comes to this place. I love it so much that i do not sleep a wink once april hits, but during the winter i catch up all those hours plus a few. I was just thinking about you guys, i know i always say that, but it is true.